View Single Post
Unread 03-30-06, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
No instruments need to be taken out (obviously the compass on the windshield center post). The $1200 figure seems way too high. It's true that it's a 2-man job, but the second guy is largely a gopher, helping support the windshield as it's being installed. The perfect arrangement, as others have suggested, is you helping an A&P (desirably one who has done it before, or else a smart guy known for following instructions and doing careful work). At most, it's a 10-hour job (and a guy who's done it before working with you might be able to cut that substantially, maybe by half). So 10 hours at $50 per hour is $500. If you can't help (or the A&P would prefer to use a helper) then $200 for the helper seems reasonable (considering that he's paid less per hour and that he's not needed for all of the 10 hours).

It's been a while since I did it with my A&P. We did it in a day (it was the first time for both of us). But maybe I'm a bit off. Why don't you call LP Aeroplastics? Ask them how long the job should take and how many people are needed. I think their answer will be similar to mine.

Ernie