Thread: Power inverter
View Single Post
Unread 03-13-17, 12:23 AM

chrisktx is on a distinguished road
Both coms work fine, on the ground, engines on. Throttle changes, every combination of alternator on/off. Speaker is too weak to hear with engines running. With the engines off it is difficult to tell, I will listen more carefully to the speaker next time.

Static really only occurs while transmitting and receiving in the air, its almost like the squelch is stuck during those moments, but it is not.... and the squelch operates normally on both radios. I replaced the Com1 antenna. (In this plane it's over the copilots head) Nice and clean, no paint, grounded to airframe. Wiggled the base/wires in flight to make sure ground was solid.

I did find the 28V-14V Voltage Converter, on the avionics tray, copilots side. It's a Aircraft Radio Corp P-528A PN 41010. Someone has been in it before so I carefully took it apart. Visually in good condition but 'I think' one of the leads to the fuse inside it had loosened. I'm not 100% sure . Tightened it up, hit it with DeOxit. Cleaned the base of the tray and the feet of the converter itself.
Hopefully will run the plane around the patch tomorrow and see if that's the smoking gun we were looking for

btw: I looked at the Condenser Noise Filter 0770038 near each cowl flap motor, mentioned in my second post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they're only there to prevent static for the very short period of time the cowl flaps are in operation... if that's true, I'm factoring that out

No beacon or strobe noise in headsets, engines off.