View Single Post
Unread 06-22-10, 08:53 AM

Cole5Oh5 is on a distinguished road
Emergency Locator Transmitter

I notice that the FCC has submitted a NPRM that would require all 121.5 MHZ ELT units to be removed from service. Conversely, the FAA requires an ELT on all aircraft. The function of the FCC rule would be to force all airplanes that do not have 406 Mhz ELT's to immediately upgrade, or be grounded.

I looked, extensively, for the NPRM. I can not find it. Normally, there is a comment period associated with all NPRM's, and I certainly would like to comment. I like the comment on AVWEB, which I am quoting, "This is the epitomy of dumb-ass lack of communication between government departments who actually have a lot in common and should know better. In that case, this should be fixed up very soon."

In any event, does anyone know where comments can be submitted.

In a separate, but related tone, what about GPS enabled ELT's? What is the advantage of those? As I understand it, if you crash, and the ELT goes off (only 80% of the time, BTW), within an hour, a satellite picks up the signal and forces start heading for you. This would mean that every hour, a signal would be picked up by a satellite, and not the same one, so they should have your location pretty much spot on. The new ELT gets encoded with your name, aircraft number, etc., so they know who they are searching for.

Now, I can see the GPS enabled ELT saying, "HEY, HERE I AM", with GPS coordinates. Especially helpful if, instead of CFIT, you actually have time to turn it on manually. However, when you turn it on manually, you presumably have some forward motion, resulting in you not being where you were when you turned it on.

Anyone have some thoughts they would like to share, especially an place to submit comments? BTW, in case you missed it, this rule goes into effect on August 15, 2010. Means the sale of 100LL will dive after that date. Unless, of course, we can change it.