View Single Post
Unread 06-14-21, 09:41 AM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
I received a similar response from the FSDO in San Diego and was flat out rejected by a number of DERs in the area, so at the moment my project is going to move forward with more limited engine instruments (I have a JPI 760 already).

As a side note I have a spreadsheet that looks almost exactly like yours. Only suggestion is that the MVP 50 P may be a good choice around air venture time when EI usually gives a 2k discount. I heard from the tech at my shop that JPI is backed up with orders for months, so you may want to contact them about lead time.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
All,
I got an email similar to the one above in June.

June 2021 Update on progress:
I am less enthusiastic about equipping with CGR-30 this year. I started inquiries with EI in prep for annual last December, and as of June 2021--they've not even sent in the AML update paperwork yet. In anticipation of such a delay, I asked my FSDO about the field approval process--and they wouldn't even consider it. My FSDO sent this:

"It is indicated in the Major Repair alteration job aid provided in the attached Advisory circular 43-210A CHG 1, that for Major Repair /Alteration Approval in the Normal, Utility, Acrobatic, and Commuter Category Airplanes; regarding; avionics; installation (element) D.13k (description) Electronic flight instrument systems (EFIS) that display primary flight information to meet regulatory operating requirements. (Classification) STC
Noting the element and the classification that is proposed, the installation is not within the scope of a FSDO ASI to accept, based on the information provide. It is recommended to apply for a STC or seek out an existing approved STC installation for the Cessna Aircraft model 337G."

--Translation: I asked the question wrongly...or failed to provide the right information...or it's a no-go until AML is updated...

Note: I did not mention that other Skymaster owners were attempting CGR-30 field approvals, and getting better results that I got. YMMV. If anyone gets CGR-30 field approval, would you please post your "approved data" so others can try?

Here's the list of what's out there now (only EIS-TXI requires dealer install):

Unit STC? Est. Base Cost Notes
EI CGR-30* NO $12180 Fits current panel
EI MVP-50 YES $14580 panel mod
JPI EDM960 YES $15590 panel mod
GI-275 EIS YES $10600 Interface with FS210 & Garmin Pilot
EIS-TXI* NO $16885 alone or + $9480 with G-500Txi installation

Insight G4 YES $5500 Twin G4 can replace EGT/CHT only

*Both Garmin and EI say they're working on AML updates to include C-337 aircraft, but apparently, these are slow processes, and completion of such projects in 2021 for 2022 installations is a "maybe."

--Since engine indication/monitoring is a priority for me, I'm now leaning towards the JPI EDM-960. Anyone know how much we can get for a kidney these days?

--LJ