View Single Post
Unread 10-30-10, 06:47 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Dave,

Frankly, I think the amount you have to pay to enjoy your Skymaster sucks!

I have reached the point that I can only fly mine at the pleasure of the Coast Guard. I could not afford the aircraft without the subsidy that is given me for providing safety and security patrols for my Country. I have flown the airplane less than 15 hours for my own purposes in the last 7 years. It has all been for mission support. If I did not have an A&P certificate I would have had to give up the airplane years ago.

The difference for me is that I cannot fly my Skymaster anytime I want. This is not a freedom issue. It is a dollars issue. I hope I can continue to fly it for another year. I'm not sure that will happen. I now have to meet TBO to continue in the Coast Guard program. At the same time, the amount being reimbursed for my flights is being reduced. I provide about 30 percent of the cost of each flight without considering the additional expense of meeting TBO to support these missions.

General aviation is going to hell in the USA too. I think it will become so expensive that no one but the very rich will be able to afford it here soon. I consider myself upper-middle class and I am rapidly becoming unable to support my love.

Sometimes I wish I did not love flying so much!