View Single Post
Unread 01-28-22, 12:24 AM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Options 2 & 4 sound similar.

For clarity, I like option number 2 better. (2. Get a "true" (unrestricted) multi, then fly with instructor for the 15 hours insurance and break in the engine.)

Since you don't sound 100% sure you will ever wind up in an asymmetrical thrust twin, go ahead and get the multiengine rating in an asymmetrical thrust twin now and have that covered. The multiengine rating is about a 5-7 flight hour process, plus or minus. Also, with getting a multiengine rating in an asymmetrical thrust twin it will be easier to find a DPE to give you the check ride, as I understand it can be difficult to find/get to someone that can give it to you in a CLT airplane. That's at least something to investigate.

During your training there will be big power changes and engine shutdowns, let the training airplane's engines endure that abuse, not your engines. This is especially true since you need to break-in one of your engines. If I recall correctly, overhaul shops like an engine being broken in to be run hard for a longer time, ... that's not consistent with a training regimen.

You'll then have 15 hours (of engine break-in time) in YOUR airplane to be learning YOUR airplane, without the distractions of a multiengine curriculum to get in the way. You'll still get to do some multiengine training in your airplane, but it could be more tailored to your, and your engine's, particular needs.

Best wishes,

Rick