View Single Post
Unread 08-27-02, 04:37 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Engine reserves

Kevinmcdo,

Yes and no. When I did the cost analysis for insertion into the Jeppesen FlightMap/FlightStar computer program, I used the cost of our TSIO-360-CB6B factory reman in the rear position, which at the time was $23,800... and I also based it on TCM's recommended TBO of 1400 hours. And yes, it would be 2X, or $34.

On the other hand if you don't go with remans and piece out the engine for overhaul and have a good mechanic friend who will in-kind some of the help, your costs could be dramatically lower.

Ah, but there's also another school of thought, based on what GMAs has talked about referencing the non-VAR cranks. You'll only be able to use it for a mail-box post when the cases are split, so if everything internally checks out, one should really consider a top overhaul with new cylinders and other components on an 'as required' basis.

But in reality, how many 337 owners, or any pilot for that matter, do you know who sets aside in a piggy-bank somewhere even half that amount each time they fly the plane? To have some reference point is good if you're quoting an hourly rate for a 135 operation, or if you're co-owners, but for the average pilot it's really an exercise in frustration and futility. Unless you're using the plane in business, let's face it, flying is for FUN and it's pretty hard to 'justify' even one engine, let alone two!!! And I include in the 'FUN', basic transportation too, to get from point "A" to "B"... it sure beats driving, and anymore I can't stand being on the road with all the road maggots.

SkyKing