Thread: Oil in Belly
View Single Post
Unread 07-14-20, 07:58 PM

GAdams is on a distinguished road
Follow up on Oil in the Belly

I'm still trouble shooting the oil in the belly. We have discovered it is coming from the transmission that houses the worm gear which actually cranks the wheels up and down. Does anyone have a better name for this device? The hydraulic engine pump drives the worm gear based upon gear handle selection. When I select up it leaks when I select down it doesn't. I was trouble shooting why all the gear doors would not stay closed with the gear up. It turns out they will when the aircraft is on jacks and operated by a hydraulic mule. But when the engine pump is put on line and the fluid gets low in the reservoir the gear doors will not stay up. I'm talking a half pint low and bubbles are in the system. It seems when the seals leak on the transmission it draws in air when it is not under hydraulic pressure. Air being sucked into the transmission creates the bubbles and while it looks like you have sufficient fluid on the site glass it did not. Bubbles are bad for the system to work properly. The yellow fluid I was reporting is in fact older hydraulic and maybe it turns yellow because of the cavitation the system is experiencing. To get that transmission out is 2 days of work. The local mechanic won't open it up to replace the seals and wipes so off to the overhaul guy. $1700. Plus days and days of labor troubleshooting and R&R. Hopefully the gear doors will stay closed. Don't know.