View Single Post
Unread 10-14-17, 04:42 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Talking Radios and RSTOL

I have a turbo T337D with RSTOL.

I eventually replaced my factory original RT485 radios (I think that was the number), when one of the gears broke.

Each original 'radio' was actually just a head, which then connected each to its own radio in the avionics bay, each of those having its own power supply. I don't remember the number, but that pile of stuff weighed a lot when it came out.

With the Robertson STOL (which I have) you also have heavier gross takeoff and landing weight available than stock, by quite a bit. Need to double check but my gross takeoff is something like 4700 lbs and a hair less for landing.

I think my empty gross around 3k as well. I don't worry about it because the RSTOL kit gives you so much payload, and rock n roll short field and climb performance, it's simply not an issue.

I took off near gross only once, years ago, out of my 2665 runway, deep in a valley, on a warm summer day: Two adults, two kids, a huge afghan dog, two violins a cello, enough tiles to redo all the entire counter tops in our beach house kitchen, two 'hanging baskets' 30 lbs of dirt w my wife's flowers), our luggage, and yes, like the joke says, everything INCLUDING the (new) kitchen sink. It was HEAVY, but fine.
Fort Washington, MD 20744