Thread: Stol
View Single Post
Unread 04-21-09, 10:05 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Stol

I currently fly a NA337G that has the STOL kit (Robertson, I think) but am looking at one without a STOL. Looking at past threads, it seems people are happy with their STOL kits but perhaps they are not work the added expense to add them versus the VG installations. I see the VG kit is around $1800 which is much less than the STOL kits. Does anyone have just the VG kit and not the STOL as well? Will the VG give about the same resultant decrease in stall as a STOL? Though we have a STOL on ours, nobody seems to fly STOL numbers, we still fly POH so the STOL is really just an insurance policy which is what I would consider the VG kit if it is as effective. Also, I have been told that a negative with the STOL kit is that if you get into turbulance, the STOL can cause damage to your wing and aircraft which the VG kit, I assume, would not. Would most of you recommend a VG installation versus the expense of a STOL if my primary mission is non STOL but just wanting the added cushion or do you feel the stock wing is good enough?
Thanks,
Dan