Thread: Slips
View Single Post
Unread 05-31-04, 08:37 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have used slips aggressively when I've had to lose altitude quickly on an approach and in doing airwork. I've always been way below maneuvering speed. I doubt there is any dangerous stress from these actions unless there are stop-to-stop abrupt control movements. The plane seems to be very comfortable in this mode. I've initiated them full dirty (gear and full flaps) and clean control is always very positive. I am no aeronautical expert, however, but I am very comfortable with slips. Note: in a left side slip the pitot tube is partially blanked out so the airspeed indicator is erroneous (very low) and may cause one to be a little anxious.

I fly between 7,000 and 10,000 usually at 2400 to 2450 and FT. I've also spent a good bit of time in the Rockies. I don't know the 2 engine service ceiling but I've tried signle engine similated service ceiling and it held 12,500 lightly loaded easily with the rear engine at zero thrust (estimated by CFII and me because the POH doesn't go up this high.) I've flown easily at 15,500, again fairly lightly loaded but in hot July.

Jim