View Single Post
Unread 03-03-14, 09:44 AM

Jim Smith is on a distinguished road
Hi Ben. I'm sorry you're having a similar problem but good to know I'm not the only one, especially on the same model and year. The problem typically seems to be worse when the battery is at peak charge or the electrical system has a minimal load. To temporarily cure the problem I will take the alternators off-line and drain the battery some and then turn them back on. I use a post it note that says 'alts' that I stick right in front of me to insure I don't forget to turn them back on! I spoke with the original owner of the plane who owned it for over 40 years and said this was never a problem for him. It makes me wonder if the pilot who delivered the plane to me might have pushed the 'alternator restart' button. I've heard pushing this button when not necessary can cause odd electrical system issues. I think it somehow affects the diodes in the alternators. I've also seen other posts where someone had similar issues and found each one of the alternators had one bad diode. This could explain how the current alternates from 28-30V as it passes through cycles in the alts. Also, the only time I have flickering alternator lights is occasionally when the plane at idle, and I understand this is a normal occurrence. Let me know if you find any possible solutions and I will do the same. Thanks, Jim