View Single Post
Unread 12-08-21, 09:44 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Done - but engineers shouldnt set timing

The plane is done and put back together. Initial run up was good. Gonna fly it this weekend to verify oil leakage. Installed all new hardware on the mag, including the rubber drive gear bushings. The cost of aircraft parts is crazy....the rubber mag bushings are only $6 a piece (which surprised me how cheap they were), but the junky little snubbers that are mounted on the #2 cylinder valve cover and push against the oil cooler are $125.........that is crazy.....But from what I have read on them, you need to replace them about every 500 hours so they dont wear on the oil cooler. So I took care of that as well.

I spent over an hour trying to time the mag so that the lights and buzzer would indicated that they are EXACTLY in time. I got it where they were within about a 1/8" (at the end of the blade) rotation. Finally the mechanic grabbed me and the buzz box and took me to 3 planes with the cowling off and showed me that none of them set the box off at the EXACT same time.....he said that if I could get them to do that I should buy a lottery ticket. When I read both mags should be timed at 20 degrees, the engineer in me says that what they really mean is 20.000000 +/- 0.000000 degrees........

I am excited to be in the air again and am thankful that my mechanic is open to supervising my work. Thanks for the input on this project!