View Single Post
Unread 07-16-05, 02:10 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Yes Mike, tons of folks have had this problem. Search for the word "turbo" using the message board search function, and you will find lots of material on this.

You should be able to maintain power at 2500 RPM and 65% power. The book has lower RPM settings shown at 20K, but most people can't reach them no matter how tight their turbo system is. If you can't maintain power at 65%/2500, then you have an issue. (On my P337, I used 67%/2450 all the time with no problem, but could not use 2400).

It is probably NOT the turbo. 90% of the time, this problem is caused by exhaust leaks. You should look into that immediately, because a small exhaust leak can become a big one, and become a fire hazard in some situations.

Check out the other messages for other things that folks have tried. But if your engine "used to be" fine, and has deterioriated without any maintenance activity, exhaust leaks are probably your culprit.

You say you have had the hoses and fittings checked. Have they pressure checked the exhaust?

Others on board who are mechanics (I am not an A&P, although I'll be happy to fix your F-111 for you as I did in the Air Force ;-) will I hope comment on other possibilities such as the turbo controller/waste gate, etc.

One other thing, you should have your mechanic check your turbo for play in the bearings. If your turbo truly is getting "worn", you should fix it right now, before it comes apart and sprays metal through your engine.

Regardless, if it were my airplane I would solve this problem now, and not let it fester.

Kevin