View Single Post
Unread 03-05-09, 05:10 PM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
My Experience

Dear Dan,

I am currently in escrow for a 73 P337. I have come to that decision after my last aircraft was a Cirrus SR22 (non Turbo) and before that a Seneca III (turbo'd).

First off, I am making the switch mainly because I need more room ( at least one more small seat) for my family, and otherwise might not change. But I am in a pretty good position to add my 2 cents.

First the Safety

The chute on a Cirrus is seldom used as it is generally safer to make an off field landing in case of engine outage. One of the reasons is that the chute has a checkered history of proper deployment and use of the chute totals the aircraft for good. BUt even then an off field landing is complicated by the fixed gear which can snag all sorts of things. I had gone to the Cirrus from the Seneca III because I don't fly a lot of hours and given the asymetrical thrust issue deemed it safer for my family than an engine out. I still believe that to be the truth.

In addition, I sometimes fly where the water table is above 8000 ft MSL. The P and T versions have a single engine service ceiling of over 18,000 feet, and while take offs are prohibited on a single engine, landings are a non event.

Therefore, I really feel that the Skymaster is, all in all a safer airplane for me...by far.

Then the cost aspect:

Yes, with twice the motors you are going to have double that kind of work, but I am pretty sure that it is no more than a Seneca III that has the same motors. I also believe that the turbos don't add up to a lot of cost unless you are a ham fisted flyer and take the proper precautions in operation. Its really not that big a deal, especially with the automatic waste gates in a 337, which the Seneca lacks).

The cost of fuel is going to be a factor but not very important to me since I don't fly a whole lot. You can count on about 22 gal/hr (it varies according to source) and my Cirrus did about 18 gal/hour with the Cirrus a little faster.
I don't know what the SR 20 gets but you can do the math.

Finally, I am buying a 73 P337 in very nice shape with mid time engines yet old avionics for $66,500. You'll find sellers asking for much more than that but there are deals out there. Indeed Skymaster.com has a nice 73 P 337 that can be negotiated for near the same price I am paying. So, the initial cost differential may be much more that you think. $80,000 will pay for a lot of gas.

Finally, Aviation Consumer Reports indicates that from 75 on the Cessna factory QC went way down.

Good Luck,

Dave Dillehay