View Single Post
Unread 08-15-02, 11:20 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
GMAs,

Your good counsel echos my thoughts exactly regarding the stuff placed on the exhaust system and especially the stainless steel 'flash' items... Yes, I've seen the asbestos and ceramic wraps on a lot of funny cars and drag racers, but never on aircraft exhauses.

Isn't it funny, most macho-"PILOT's" just have to have that bright, shiny hardware, or the plane don't fly right and those who see the plane aren't impressed unless the sun flickers off the screws! My, my... such important egos... and of course, catered to by most of the parts houses with 'complete' stainless steel "screw kits". I'm not sure who is getting the screwing!

I wonder how many others that have the P-models have had or are having surface erosion of the long upward tilting angle piece on the left side of their rear engine mount that sits next to the left-side exhaust and turbo? I see mine is going to be needing a bit of clean-up and touch-up with the high-temp black stove paint. The previous owner had a 1 and 1/2 inch wide heat shield made out of a thicker piece of what appears to be aluminum that attaches with two hose clamps at either end, but when we cleaned it up last year, I left it off... the radiant heat must be flaking the high-temp paint off... just one of those yearly fix-its.

SkyKing