View Single Post
Unread 12-01-08, 09:28 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ Humphrey View Post
Notice in the mock-up panel in the photo submitted by Jakes Dekker, that the Aspen is offset about 1.5" to the left of the control wheel shaft. This is because the Aspen fits into the hole left by removal of the attitude indicator, and on my ship and, apparently, Dr. Dekkers', the AI is not centered over the shaft. Once the Aspen is installed, it's such a Christmas tree, with all the glowing colors and wealth of information beautifully and compactly displayed, the off-center position of the unit seems really assymetrical and weird.
It is a very valid point. Actually, we were paying a lot of attention to that. We were torn over the two choices we had: (a) centre the PFD over the steering column, or (b) centre it over the amber warning light directly beneath it. Option (b) made more sense for 2 reasons: (i) the basic structure of the panel support allowed for it very easily, and (ii) visually it looked better when centred over the yellow warning light. We also pasted real-life size pictures of the MFD's either side of the PFD, and when the area covered by Aspens is bigger, the little offset is almost not noticeble.

It's weird, but in the "old" steam gauge configuration everything was also 1,5" off to the left - I did not even notice it then.