View Single Post
Unread 05-22-20, 01:20 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
First paragraph cut and pasted from Ernie's original post:

1. I'm having trouble finding the EGT probe that is clamped on the exhaust pipe of the engine, feeding temperature to the EGT gauge. Looks as shown in the picture below. Cessna PN is C668501-0110 (the PMA version is Alcor 86156 but it's no longer made). Any info would be appreciated. Aircraft Spruce sells an MM-112 but not sure it works. Thanks.

My results:

So I flew my airplane yesterday for the first time with my Poplar Grove O/H front engine. All went very well.

I replaced the Cessna EGT probe C668501-0110 yesterday. I'm almost certain it was the original probe from Cessna and was in pretty bad shape though it was working when removed for overhaul of the front engine but it did not survive the O/H process. My rear engine had that probe replaced years ago with the above mentioned PMA version Alcor 86156 and as Ernie mentioned it is no longer available from Alcor. I spoke with them myself and they confirmed this.

This probe in question is a "Type E" probe as opposed to the more common "Type K" probes which my JPI engine monitor utilizes.

Universal (universal-co.com) makes both types of probes. The Universal MM-112 Type E probe sold by Aircraft Spruce worked in my application yesterday. There are 2 versions of the MM-112 sold. The other version is the MM-112-1. The only difference of the 2 versions is the connectors. The "-1" which is the version I used has eyelet connectors versus plug connectors on the other. I spoke to Universal (super helpful) before I purchased and they told me they were 99% certain their probe would work. The only concern was the scale may have been different. By that I mean the range the needle would display on the EGT instrument. Mine is adjustable and EGT temps being relative and specific numbers not mattering, a simple quarter turn of the adjusting knob on my instrument brought the needle movement inline with the rear engine.

So there ya go. My airplane is a 1973 C337G.

By the way, the Universal "Type K" probe works fine with my JPI monitor. I suspect it is simply a matter of making sure whether your application is a Type E or Type K probe. If you have that correct, I suspect no problems should occur!