Thread: 73 337g
View Single Post
Unread 02-08-05, 06:59 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
I had a AGA MCR-01 Lafayette sportster (Ban-bi) with the rotax 912ULS engine. The engine seized during cruise at 2500ft with no warning. Luckily, it was a small plane and it was Martin Luther King Day (no traffic). I was forced to land on Reading Road in Cincinnati, Ohio. I struck a power line which took off my Lt landing gear. Upon touchdown, I dropped to the left wing and slid left (I touched down in the left two lanes and was passing cars that were in the right lanes). During this slide, I impacted a telephone pole which removed my left wing and tail. The FAA and NTSB had cleared me of any wrong doing as the engine is still seized. They could not even get the prop to move. It is being crated and sent for tear down. The NTSB said they have had several engine failures with the rotax engines. It is a very surreal experience to had complete silence at altitude and to be able to see your prop because it isn't moving! They teach you to look for a nice field, there wasn't a field in site. That's an even worse feeling. I thank God that my daughter and I are still here to enjoy our time!! It would have been a great relief to have a second engine available! Thanks again for your input, Dan