Thread: 73 337g
View Single Post
Unread 02-09-05, 05:48 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I figured I would add my two cents worth as well. I started looking for a new plane about four or five years ago. I wanted twin engine safety, good range, performance and load capacity and the general systems redundancy that comes with a twin. Pressurised and de-iced were also high on the list.

I also had a long look at the NTSB files for a range of light twins and did a lot of reading on the subject of flying them.

I went out and did some multi training in a turbo Seneca II. The engine out training was very interesting and revealing. On a warm day with full fuel asymetric flight was not the easiest thing to do. Never tried it with a full load on, but it was interesting when the rate of climb is less than 200 fpm and there is a hill ahead. To do it successfully you have to be on top of your game all the time and practice it regularily.

Bought a FT337GP with de-ice. Engine outs are a non-event and I mean a non-event - you just slow down. The plane is well designed and well built. Easy to fly, and generally in my opinion, one of the safest twins around. I think as do many on this board that any reputations the 337's have are the result of, running out of fuel, pilot error, OWT's (old wives tales) and people who are commenting without actual experience with the type.

Everytime I take someone up in my 337, they come away impressed. Even experienced pilots who thought I was a bit crazy to buy it, leave a flight nodding their heads that it is a great plane with good performance in all modes of flight.

In summary, you have a lot of enthusiasts for the plane here and a lot of experience with the type. In making your decision, when you hear negative comments about the 337, ask where this experience came from and I think you will find it is not based on fact or real experience. OK, pilots do make mistakes, and a lot of 337 accidents appear to be people transitioning into a very complex plane without the necessary training. BTW, it is a complex airplane and you will need type specific training.

The way I look at it, as my wife does not like to fly at all, if the rear engine fails, she will never even know about it and if the front goes, I can just tell her I am giving it a rest. That is what I mean when I say a non-event.

My two cents worth. Ok, it was more like ten cents worth.

Regards - Dave