View Single Post
Unread 08-19-03, 03:13 PM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Primary training

I'm well along in my primary training. I'm soloing and up to 30 hrs. Am not able to fly much for the next two weeks due to work scheduling but hope to push hard after that to be done by the end of Oct. My plan then would be to go straight to accelrated ME training at a school and complete that within a week which I understand is quite a reasonable goal. It would be at that time that I want to have my own Skymaster ready to go. Even if I did the ME training in my own plane, though the engine out sequence is hard on an engine, it would not be anywhere near as hard as primary training would be.

All that having been said, essentially every pilot I know is trying to talk me out of it. Most everyone says to get hours in a high performance and complex a/c first. But what i don't get is this: I'm going to have to get the high performance/complex experience in some aircraft and at some time. What's wrong with that plane being a nice safe tandem twin that I own?

My broker is also a good friend and I know he has my best interests in mind. I know him well and trust him so I do believe he has my best interests primary. He argues against going straight to the Skymaster. But damn, what I WANT is that Skymaster. Its a strong urge to overcome because I believe it is do-able and safe. Others are trying to sway me and many of those who are doing so are experienced and wise so their opinion carries weight with me. But Larry just made a strong case for the Skymaster (see above).

I'm still mulling it over.

Hugh