View Single Post
Unread 01-15-16, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me add my perspective after operating three (3) different Skymasters over the last 17 years. And, as you will see, I approach the issue from a rather different viewpoint.

Before I do that, one quick comment is that the landing gear has never given me a lick of trouble. I changed hoses once when the annual inspection indicated it, and that’s it.

My view on operating costs is that you should separate ownership costs out of the equation. Loan payments, insurance, hangar/tie-down, biennial transponder test, painting the aircraft, replacing windows, replacing the battery and much of the cost of the annual are there whether you operate the aircraft or not. I view these costs as overhead, and they are critical in deciding initially whether I can afford to buy the airplane.

But after I own it, I want to know what it will cost me for each hour of flight. So if I have a trip that can be done by car or airplane, at least I know how to compare costs.

So here are my numbers per hour with some based on 100 flight hrs per year:

Fuel @ $5.50/gal @ 23 gal/hr* -------------------- $126
Engine reserves @ $30K per OH every 1500 hrs ---- 40
$2K Maintenance between annuals ------------------- 20
Annual not including unpaneling -------------- 20
Propeller reserves and miscellaneous ---------------- 10

TOTAL ---------------------------- $216

Ernie Martin