View Single Post
Unread 11-14-17, 09:26 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I cannot say for any certainty what occurred however the fact that the electrical system returned to normal after you turned the master switch off and then back on implies that you reset the over-voltage sensor. Read the POH on the over-voltage sensor operation.

I am currently struggling with this for the 3rd time in my ownership experience since 2002.

Simply put, the over-voltage sensor is designed to shut the alternators off if the sensor senses more than I think it is 32 or 32.5 volts across the electrical system. It is in place to protect your avionics from getting fried by too high of a voltage. Normal voltage should be about 28.5 volts across the system if all is set up and working properly.

If the over-voltage sensor trips, on the panel you should see the annunciator lights illuminated indicated the alternators are off and the red volts high light should also be illuminated indicating an over-voltage event occurred. The procedure to reset the over-voltage sensor included turning the master switch off for a few seconds to reset the sensor. The procedure is all spelled out in the POH.

In my POH for my 1973 G model, the manual states "if the condition was temporary, resetting the over-voltage sensor will return the electrical system to normal operation."

This implies to me that for some reason (please note I do not understand electricity) Cessna thought when they built the airplane that a temporary condition could exist that could cause this at some random time.

My personal experience with these conditions has been a malfunction is occurring in the system. They have not been temporary at all. The answer will come to you if this event reoccurs frequently as you fly along. In the mean time, I would fly along cautiously avoiding IFR conditions until you fully understand what is going on here. You wouldn't want to be in the clouds without electricity.

I have written posts on my experiences with over-voltage conditions on this forum that you can read. I am currently working on this again for the 3rd time on my airplane and do not have the answer yet for this latest round.

Keep in mind, that I have no clue what happened in your case. I simply am basing what I said on the behavior you described with the limited information in your post. If this happens again, see if the red "volts high" light is illuminated before turning the master switch off. This would verify if it was in fact an over-voltage event. Actually, let me rephrase..., it would indicate that the over-voltage sensor tripped. Maybe an over-voltage event occurred or maybe the sensor is faulty, tripping when it should not have.

Electrical problems in my opinion are the worst maintenance events to have. In my experience, nothing is more difficult to resolve.

Good Luck,

Ed