View Single Post
Unread 05-15-02, 02:18 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
De-ice boots

Bob,

Your knowledge factor concerning the de-ice plumbing option is obviously greater than mine.

Our 1977 P-model came from the factory with what's referred to as a "SNEG" option, i.e., "Full De-Ice Plumbing without the boots being installed - all lines to be capped off." Since it also came with option "41H" - Gryros, the required dual-vacuum system was already integrated, including the control solenoids, timer and relays, and as far as we can determine from log entries, all of the items you refer to as having to be bought and installed were already on the plane. Cessna also offered a "partial-plumbing" option in 1977 for $750, and it very well could have been that this option would require one to opt for the additional items as you suggest.

Our plane had the Robertson STOL kit installed first, and then the boots were put on, and having the two is a rare find.

As far as N1ZJ is concerned, it wouldn't take too much for Jazzman to determine that the items he'd eventally need for the de-ice are already installed, by pulling the right front and left rear engine cowls to see that the BFG solenoids and additional vacuum items are installed. And who knows, maybe the paperwork will reveal the original Cessna packing list that shows exactly what was installed at the factory. If indeed all of the items are there, then he'd only need boots and he'd enjoy having the best of both worlds, as this bird has R/STOL as well.

As I always recommend to a prospective purchaser, it's a good idea to order up a copy of the complete aircraft file from the FAA in Oklahoma, and then you'll have a little more insight as to its real history.

SkyKing