View Single Post
Unread 03-15-09, 03:07 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
I think most of us land our 337's at higher speeds than what they can really do (human nature, maybe). Think about it: Vs=65 KTS and Vso=52 KTS (for my plane), and still I land at about 75 KTS. These planes were originally built to fly Vietnam, and one of the key characteristics were to fly low, slow and be able to do steep decends for landings on very short runways. I have at (one) occasion landed my plane at 68 and was able to turn off the runway at the very first taxiway within a few seconds.

Having said that, here is my 'standard' procedure:
Before entering airfield - get speed down to 120
At entry of airfield or just before - lower gear + flaps 1/3 (this acts as a super-efficient airbrake, and will kill another 10 - 15 KTS easily. Do both simultaneously and you will have no pitch of the nose
Downwind - 100
Base - 90 + flaps 2/3
Established on final - 80 + props full +flaps full
Over the fence - 78
Over the threshold/numbers - Pull throttles back and round out just enough to make sure the mains will touch first; don't 'flare'. She WILL tippie-toe her feet on the ground 400 feet later. Like a symphony in aviation...

Of all the planes I have flown, I can tell you this: the 337 makes the best, most predictable landings ever. Time after time after time.