View Single Post
Unread 03-31-09, 04:58 PM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
I agree with Rick, go and play at height and also get a feel for the buffet as you approach the stall with both power on and off, gear up and down. Try some slow flight as well to give you the feel of the controls at slower speeds(slightly heavy). The gear doors opening do create significant drag so I would suggest getting the gear down earlier in the game, but you will feel that as you play.

Generally a very relaxed machine to fly and land.

In my P337, depended on class of airspace, ATC hurry up and traffic, I will tend put out 1/3 flaps below 150 kts to slow down to 120/130 kts so I can fit in with slower traffic. Pull the throttle back about 1" per minute for engine/turbo cooling. Just a note on speed, most aircraft are doing 100 kts or less in the circuit, so slowing down is important. I always turn on the lights as early as possible.

Gear comes down at below 120kts on late downwind or base, no later than FAF if IFR. I try and use 120 kts or below as it is less work on the gear doors. My first GUMPs check is here. Gas, Undercarrage, Mixture and Props, with the props being delayed until short final when below governor range.

I tend to start decent on final (or base) at 100 kts +/- as the aircraft feels more stable at the slightly higher speeds. Once comfortable on final at about 100 kts to start and stable, second GUMPs check.

I am then slowing gradually all the way down final, but generally always leave power at least 1800rpm/21" to 2000rpm/22" until over the fence. Runway visual and landing assured I go to 2/3 flaps. Props go high on short final for the go around as part of the final GUMPs and if short landing is desired, full flaps. I usually only use 2/3 flaps, but have longer runways. Over the fence I am at 80 kts or slightly less.

I tend to keep the aircraft in reasonable trim once in the circuit to reduce work load.

Over the threshold, power can be reduced either a bit or all the way depending on runway length. In my P337, I find that a fairly high nose up on the flair works best. The process is level out at the first stages of feeling the runway coming up around you and then pull power while raising the nose. Generally I want to hear the stall warning just prior to touch down at what is likely less than 65 kts, though I can't say I have looked lately. The plane settles nicely on the mains with no effort. Having a little bit of power all the way to touch down makes the landings very easy. In fact one of my very experienced 337 friends suggested to always carry some power through the flair.

Using the above numbers and only very moderate braking you can be down and stopped in less than 1500 feet. When you have some practice, you can reduce the speeds above by about 10 kts for even shorter landings. If high on final, pull more power off, go props fine and push the nose over.

On cross winds, I use wing down, crossed controls all the way through the flair.

On take off unless heavy I use no flaps, I call airspeed alive at 50 kts, and find a fairly positve pull on the yoke at 75 to 80 knots works with acceleration to at least 100 kts for climb out. I delay gear up until at least 300 feet due to gear door drag.

The POH is pretty good on these aspects of flight as a BTW. The P337 flies like a 182 or 210 so a flight in either of those will assist you with the feel if you get a chance.

Hope this assists.

Regards - Dave