View Single Post
Unread 08-30-03, 02:49 AM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Single engine TO

Jose's list highlights a question I have had. The single engine rate of climb for the Skymaster under standard conditions varies depending upon the operative engine, the specific model and the publication one reads but would appear to be somewhere between roughly 325 - 375 fpm. I've read though of a number of accidents in which the principle or contributing cause is listed as engine out on takeoff.

Now 300 fpm isn't great but ought to be adequate in good weather and without substantial obstacles at reasonabe density altitude (query "reasonable"). For example I once took off in a C152 at DA approx. 1000 ft. with me (195 lbs at the time), my instructor (approx. 170 lbs) and as I recall, about 20 gals of fuel. Weather was clear but with a near 90 degree crosswind at about 9 (the favored rwy was not available). I noticed that it seemed to take longer than usual to attain rotation velocity and when I did, the plane just did not want to climb. I nearly stalled it immediately off the deck. I pushed it back over, stayed in ground effect and was able to gain enough speed to climb at about 200 fpm which was enough to allow me to turn clear of hills and trees about 1 mile or so ahead. I never quite gained pattern altitude but remained in the pattern and returned safely. Turns out the carb heat was stuck on even though the switch was in the off position and I was not able to get more than about 2250 rpm. Point is, 200 fpm was adequate under those conditions.

I'm assuming therefore that the engine out on TO Skymaster accidents must have occured in poor weather or at high density altitude or have some other contributing factor(s).

Anyone have any insight on that?

Hugh