Thread: 337 ownership
View Single Post
Unread 10-15-12, 08:27 PM

Jim Smith is on a distinguished road
Alex, I own two Skymasters, a '69 turbo D model and a '71 normal F model. The D came with one new engine and 2600 hrs TTAF and the F came with one new engine and only 1270 total hrs. TTAF. The D was a one owner, always hangered Arizona plane with beautiful paint and interior and the F could use a paint job but came with a full IFR GPS panel and beautiful interior. Both planes were out of annual when I bought them. I got great deals on both planes leaving plenty of money left for annuals, repairs and upgrades to make them both mechanically and cosmetically tip top. The Skymaster is typically a 'love it or hate it' airplane, which narrows the market and demand. Those of use who know and love what a fantastic plane this is enjoy our 'secret', while the 'haters' pretty much just base their opinion on a falsely given reputation. I've never met anyone who actually owned a 337 that hated it. Like any plane, if you neglect them you will eventually pay one way or they other. My point is, there are some great deals on Skymasters right now that would leave plenty of money left over to make sure it's tip top and still have way less invested than you would have in a conventional twin. Me owning two of them is a testament to my experiences and what I think of this plane. My best advice is to find a mechanic that will work 'on the side' for way less than a shop would charge and also let you assist in repairs or annuals if you desire. Good luck with your search for a great plane. Jim