View Single Post
Unread 04-05-05, 09:35 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
The 0-2's ferry flights are more analagous to what Proto wants to do than simply shutting down one engine and flying on one. In his initial post, he says he intends to install a ferry tank. Everything I have read indicates that you can take off at 30% over gross, with out a special permit. Now, take the average skymaster at 4400, add 30% and you are at 5720. Make it 20%, and you are at 5280. If I was going to go a long ways over water, I'd want all the fuel on board that I could get away with. In other words, I'd be at 5720. If the average usefull load is 1500, that means you could carry 2800 of people and fuel, or 2600 of fuel. To get to the point where you have burned off enough fuel to get down to normal max takeoff, you will have flown for a while. Quite a while. I don't think a normal, or turbo, skymaster can hold altitude at 20% over gross. Maybe 10%, but I doubt that too.
So, my initial premise was that for a long time, he's going to have to run with 2 engines. It would make sense to me to have them leaned out as much as possible. I would also, no science here, just an opinion, think that 2 engines running at reduced power, could generate more thrust than one engine running at some reduced power setting.

There are a lot of opinions, we'll just have to see what happens when proto gets the bird in the air.

Good luck.