View Single Post
Unread 06-20-02, 06:54 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Wink Oil coolers, varitherms and general engine temp control...

Yes it can stick open.. and their have been cases that we have seen... it results in high oil temp without much cooling once airborne... you might check and see if it is... it screws into the back of the engine oil cooler adapter... its that big silver looking thing with a nut on it... about 1 inch in dia and 1 inch long... it treads out and the guts that are inside... come with it... of the cooler adapter... it has a safety wire on it...

One way of testing it is to put it in a pan of water.. on the stove... and use a candy theromoter... should start to change at about 160 deg f. and be almost all the way at about 180... or so.. they can change the temps on them with different ones ...just like your car theromostat... they make all kinds of temps... but, stick with the original...

Now a couple of more thing... to check also...you might want to remove it real careful... and make sure its not full of junk... as that too will not let it seat on the boss... thus keeping it in bypass mode....

Oil coolers... send it to pacific oil coolers... to get overhauled... they can make it like new... and yes they do plug up with carbon that just won't flush out.... we have found and toured the shop their... get ahold of Mr. Sourman... and let him know that your with the skymasters group... he said he would give us a discount... they will return it to you better than new... and its fairly inexpensive too... we send ours out every 5 years and have them done... they have the equipment for it as well as the experteese... and will pick them up over at El Monte field if you make arangements... prior... we have found they do excellent work and are reasonable... if you need the no... let me know... I will put you in contact with them... and I think they are on the web now... too.. so you might check it out...

Last but, not least.. the baffeling and seals around the engine... here we just can't say enough.. and seems to be a major problem in aircraft that are not maintained correctly... so check it out too...

My money is on the varitherm... and oil cooler if you haven't had them checked in a while...

Of course when you start pyleing on accessories like AC and larger items.. things are going to get hotter... so watch the loading too...

Hope this helps.. GMAs...