View Single Post
Unread 05-27-10, 12:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
My opinion is based on limited single engine work, just enough to know how the aircraft will handle. I have shut down an engine several times but this was for practice and can't say what the loads were exactly but here's a good attempt at remembering.

Out in the mountain states years ago with 2JF dad and I practiced the SE stuff several times. I can remember being at around 10K MSL but don't remember the temperature. I would guess that it was at least standard or maybe less. For load the mains were full, not sure on the aux's but it's a good chance that they were full too. Myself at 200 lbs and dad at 265 lbs. We maintained 10K for some time but it was a little sluggish. The rear was better than the front. I lost a cylinder over Lake Michigan several years ago and pulled the front back to minimal and flew it for about an hour with no problems. I would say that I was at 6500 ft. I did not know what had happened to the engine while in flight but I watched my vitals and limped into the airport. Cylinder separated from the base.

At 5,000 ft and 2/3 load I would estimate that you could maintain altitude. You didn't mention that your experienced source had actual factual info on this or if it was just an opinion based on POH.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years