Thread: Operating Costs
View Single Post
Unread 06-10-09, 05:23 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Your fuel for a normally aspirated model is reasonable. Turbo models are probably higher but I do not operate one so I cannot speeak from experience there. Since you have your insurance and hanger fees nailed down, then the only thing left is maintenance.

It has been my experience that trying to approximate maintenance costs on 30 to 40 year old airplanes is quite challenging. I have owned airplanes for almost 20 years and I have owned my 73 C337G model for seven years and flown it about 600 hours. My least expensive annual has been $6000 and my highest (and first) has been $20,000 with the rest falling in the $8000 to $15,000 range. The airplane has been dependable during the years usually not requiring any maintenance during the time between annuals other than oil changes and the standard things one would do to keep an plane in good shape. This past year I have been struggling with a fuel guage issue that you can read all about on this site and I did have a pesky electrical problem a year or two ago that you can also read about on this site. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are and how much your IA allows your involvement in maintaining your airplane, I am certain you could safely operate with lower costs than mine. I personally am not experienced in maintenance and my shop does not allow owner participation. I enjoy my Skymaster and would encourage anyone to buy one provided they are financially prepared to operate it. It will most likely cost more than you think!

Ed Asmus