Thread: Operating Costs
View Single Post
Unread 06-10-09, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Norris, I noted that you just joined us. Perhaps you failed to see the second message on the Board (General Skymaster Info & Tips For Buyers). It's intended for first-time users and strongly recommends that you first do a Search on your topic before posting a question (Search is on the first blue line at the top of the screen). NOTE TO LARRY: Please, let's change the title of that message to "Tips for First-time visitors and prospective Skymaster buyers".

When you do your Search on operating costs, you will find many (perhaps a dozen or more) responses over the years, covering a broad range of users, rather than getting one or two responses. Plus, it's instant, rather than waiting a few days for people to respond.

I went and did a Search on operating costs and found lots of info. Then expanded that to annual cost and found even more stuff. Maybe engine overhaul or other terms will also yield valuable data.

Personally, I make a distinction between operating costs and overhead. The costs for tie-down/hangar, insurance, paint/upholstery and a "nothing-was-wrong" annual (maybe $1,000) are going to be there whether you use the airplane or not. I view that as overhead, not operating costs. So if a friend asks me to take him somewhere, I want to know the operating costs of that flight, namely how much that will add to my yearly costs. (I know that in Part 91 I can't charge for that, but I want to know.) Fuel costs have changed so drastically over the past year, and vary so much between location (I fly a lot to Caribbean islands, and late returns to the US sometimes forces me to land at big airports where Customs is open late and fuel is outrageously high), that I figure the operating costs as fuel + other, where "other" includes most of the annual inspection (my average costs, which you will find when you do Search, minus the $1,000 I figure if I don't use the airplane), engine/prop reserves, miscellaneous repairs through the year, oil changes, tires, batteries, etc. My "other" is now in the $80 - $90 range per hour of flight operation (not including taxiing).

Since you're new, I'll tell you I'm on my second Skymaster, I'm a mechanical engineer, and spent 10 years in the aircraft engine parts business.

On the matter of using the Search feature, please note that I'm also one of the Webmasters and I do it for your benefit.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 06-10-09 at 06:30 PM.