Thread: Bermuda?
View Single Post
Unread 05-14-10, 02:45 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I looked over the recommendations on Ernie's web site, and they're comprehensive and excellent. The only thing I'd add is to give the family (or other passengers) a thorough briefing on what to expect, and detailed instruction on their expected actions - what to do as well as what not to do.

On our low-altitude overwater aerial surveys, I hold a complete ditch briefing before every flight, even though the crew compliment changes very little. I break our procedure into three phases:

1. Preparatory - formally announced by "Prepare to ditch."
2. Landing - announced by "Brace, Brace, Brace" at 100' (yelled loudly,
since headphones should be off at that point)
3. In Water - where everyone has a prior-assigned exit (if useable), and
is responsible for a piece of survival gear to take out with them.

Another thing we stress (Ernie hit it) is not to get hung up inside the cabin trying to help someone who may be disabled - maybe a big thing when a family member is involved. The drill is to get yourself out with the gear you're responsible for, then render assistance from outside the airplane.

Re radios, I concur with Ernie's recommendations - the marine radio could be especially important. Many years ago, I took a flight of Navy fighters from Norfolk to Bermuda and we were out of comm (UHF) range for close to an hour; VHF coverage may be much better now. If not, I wouldn't think it's worth getting wrapped up in HF comms. You can rent a satphone as a good backup for a not-unreasonable rate.

I agree - it sounds like a fun trip, and Bermuda is a beautiful place!

Ahab