Thread: Bermuda?
View Single Post
Unread 05-15-10, 06:38 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
"It takes due diligence to plan and execute a trip like this."

Absolutely, and I think that's what we're all saying...even if we're talking past each other a little. I think if he equips the airplane properly, plans the route carefully, briefs the family and/or passengers on what to expect and ditch procedures, goes feet wet from the east coast with a full load of fuel and good weather forecasts (and BDA NOTAMS checked!), it should be a walk in the park.

I'd lay out a GPS track with :30 min user-defined waypoints, plus the calculated PNR on it. Prudence would also suggest maintaining a DR plot on a North Atlantic chart and comparing the fixes at each waypoint (you can tell I'm old school!). Recheck the wx and airport status just prior to the PNR and if all's well, press on.

I would give fair warning that if you haven't done it before, it can be a bit of a 'lonely' somewhat intimidating feeling sitting out there with nothing around - a good reason for having something to do - like navigate! Bottom line: I'd be just as comfortable, probably more, trucking out to Bermuda at 10K as I am a hundred miles offshore at 700' on a survey track.

Due diligence, and Bon Voyage-
Ahab