Thread: Oil quick drain
View Single Post
Unread 05-30-04, 09:48 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
You can put a quick oil drain on the front engine. There are two choices for you.

Saf-Air makes a quick oil drain that is STC'd for the TSIO-360 engine. It is a low profile unit, and they say it will clear the nose gear. I have not tried this one.

Bogert Aviation has an STC for the 337 to put a quick oil drain on the front engine. The STC uses a Piper part as the quick oil drain, and Bogert makes a probe which you use to drain the sump. It is a very low profile unit, and it clears the nose gear by a minimum of 3/8". I have installed this one on my 73 P337, and it clears my nose gear by 3/4". I had no problem with getting approval. I installed it during my annual, showed the STC to the IA, and he signed off my paper work.

The SafAir unit looks to me to be more ruggedly built, and it is half the price of the Bogert solution. But the Bogert solution has an STC for the airframe, so I chose that one.

It's not cheap. The STC is $15. The probe is about $65. The Piper part, new, is $120. But it sure is nice not to have to clean up the hangar floor any more.

Mark