View Single Post
Unread 01-16-23, 08:14 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
PortaPilot seems a reach. My airplane isn't that tough to fly, even great distances.
I flew without an autopilot for the first many years of having my license. I flew Cessna 150, 172, 310 and more from Texas to California and Florida, hand flown every mile.

I used to think less of pilots who used autopilots. I eventually bought a few singles and two twins without (working) APs and always considered myself a better pilot for not needing one. Then I flew 135 and 121, and started to see the benefit of having a good AP. I still liked not having one when I flew GA aircraft, just to stay sharp.

Then I bought my first Bonanza with an AP in great working condition. I could trust it to hold an altitude, steer a course, or hold a heading. I could even trust it to fly a specific VS and capture an altitude. I could hit "direct-to" and I knew the plane would take me there. I am now sold on having an AP in my GA airplane!

My P337H has the STEC 60-2 AP with the ST360 preselect module, and life is great, but I don't think I'm as sharp as I was before when hand-flying was the only choice.

Be happy with what you have and where you are. We are truly blessed to be Skymaster owners.

Last edited by mshac : 01-16-23 at 08:24 PM.