View Single Post
Unread 03-28-10, 03:58 AM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
I hear what you're saying. I bought my 1966 Cessna 337A for about 45K. I knew I would have to fix it up, but I figured I could fly it while fixing it up. What I've found is that I've put about 10K per year in it over the past three years. I had to troubleshoot the systems and had various other small problems fixed. The good thing about that is that I learned about the aircraft systems and how they work. I've flow it around the area, taken some people back into the Rocky Mountains, and flew cross country to California. My aircraft systems are all working now, although its aesthetics leave much to be desired. I'll fix that in time.

As everyone is saying, if you buy at a low price, you're probably going to end up fixing a lot. Be prepared for problems to manifest themselves for sometime. The more you fly it, the more you shake out the problems. I found it is expensive to fix aircraft components and it seems to take forever to get fixes done.

Now that I've had many of the systems fixed, I'm glad I made the purchase. Although, I admit, I cursed at my airplane a lot over the past three years. If I had to wait another 3 years to save the money to buy a more up to date aircraft, I would have lost interest and continued renting or bought a less complex single engine aircraft.

Karl