View Single Post
Unread 12-21-19, 12:25 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
I have Tremap, FlyQ, Foreflight performance, WingX, and IflyGPS

As my wife has many shoes, I have many flying apps. Its a race!

I use an Ipad Mini. Just right in the cockpit on a yoke mounted dispplay. I 4 of them. Well, ...one for the office/airplane. One for upstairs home, reading, news. One for downstairs, reading, news, flightplanning. ...And the old mini-2 that has a cell account for backup on overseas travel, should my phone die in some remote area, and was getting overwhelmed by foreflight.

I bought a lifetime fly-Q years ago, and found it very user friendly. Their philosophy is/was no more than two clicks from the 'next thing.' And their display friendly on eyes over over 20 years old. My major complaint is, they haven't yet figured out vector maps, so you are still using a computer to look at North up enhanced printed docs.

Sort of like using a UH Def display to read badly-cluttered roman scrolls.

In the airplane, Aviation-safety / Truemap is hard to beat, as its data presentation is well-boiled down to cleanly presenting just the essentials. ...But it runs on Windows hardware.

I have a Helmnav 650 display in airplane which beats everything for brightness and clarity, and touchscreen, including downloaded XM weather. In theory it should prt from a Stratus 3s as well, on the open format. Need to check.

Foreflight was funded w $10m VC money, I think Silver Lake partners. It has the most elaborate functionality, ...but was recently bought by Boeing. The thing that struck me most was Foreflight having so many programmers. Near 200 as I recall. Making wild guesses about number of subscribers would suggest revenue per employee seems too low to remain sustainable. Maybe that's why it was sold? And, ..will Boeing keep feeding all those programmers, or just start milking the foreflight cow?

I recently added IFlygps and find its display and user interface clean and intuitive.

I currently have a Strtaus 2s w proprietary interface, and am thinking of getting 3S so it will talk to all of these apps.

And my wife wants more shoes.... And has started riding a horse.

So, like any self-respecting corrupt government, I have to start rethinking resource allocation...
Fort Washington, MD 20744