View Single Post
Unread 02-23-03, 01:32 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Jim,

I would strongly recommend that if you determine that it really does have only the 93 gal fuel capacity, then I would either not buy the airplane, or take a big chunk out of the value. Lack of long range tanks can really make the airplane hard to sell later.

Years ago, I flew to Outlaw field in AK or TN (can't remember) to look at a Cessna 206. It was a pristine, beautiful, well cared for airplane, and it was being sold at a bargain price. I could not figure out why it was priced so low, after a prebuy and looking at the logs, etc etc. So I bought it. On the way home, I figured it out. It was a great airplane, but it had only 4 hours of fuel capacity. If you take time to the alternate, 45 min reserve, and some holding fuel out of that, your IFR range is pretty limited, and it was a pain in the butt all the time that I owned it. And of course, *this* turned out to be the airplane that I needed to fly all over the US over the course of six months, with a bunch of equipment in the back. I flew 2.5 hour legs, so that I would have a little margin, and land with 45 - 60 min reserve. What a pain.

So I was dumb, you're not, you noticed. But think very carefully before buying it if it has only 93 gals of fuel...

Free advice, worth what you paid for it.

Kevin