View Single Post
Unread 07-05-21, 12:34 PM

JMH is on a distinguished road
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m trying to find the best techniques for an O-2A… have a edm-760 twin installed, that lists individual temps for the cylinders.

Question#1- how should I use the individual CHT knowledge? Since it is not in the manual (using the 1985 1L-2A-1 as the POH), one instructor told me 400deg is the limit, but I cant really verify that anywhere. Should that take precedent over the typical Cylinder temp gauge which only goes up to 238, where 190 is the optimum temp? Not only for a “limit” but also for leaning and cowl flap ops… leaning on the ground will increase those CHTs, so it concerns me getting close to 400 (because of that IPs comments)

Note for #9 below, that should be 190 cylinder temp, not oil…?

Question #2- for a “normal” climb the book says to pull both RPM and HG pressure “in to the green arc” and fly 105-120 KIAS with 14gph to 5000’ decreasing to 12gph at 8000’ and 10gph at 12000’… how should I be attaining those gph? I would have assumed by leaning, but #3 below seems to counter that. Leave it at 2600 rpm, full rich and modulate throttle? There is a caution about leaning “below placard values” (@2800RPM) so it almost implies that we should lean TO those values.

I have a similar question for cruise, but I see if there is already thread for it that covers it… thanks!

1) lean, lean, and lean..... on the ground. MAX EGT or until the engines are about to quit.

2) Lean on descent. Keep engine temps up.

3) Do NOT lean on climb!

4) lean ROP or LOP to >60 ROP if necessary... depending on power.

5) Never start the engines unless you are going to fly.

6) never fly for less than 1 hr.

7) do NOT run at low power settings (<50%) for any length of time unless you lean to peak EGT! PEAK EGT!

8) Do not idle the engines for any length of time. I get my clearances and ATIS with a handheld.

9) Keep up your temps by keeping cowl flaps closed except on climb. Try and keep them up to 190 deg (oil temp).

10) Insulate rear oil tube to keep condensation down on rear engine.

If you adhere to the above rules you will NOT have any problems. I have followed these rules for many years flying Cessna products and it does make a difference..

Fresh oil is cheaper than new engines. Leaning saves fuel and eliminates carbon.