View Single Post
Unread 07-25-03, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob:

I considered not replying, so it doesn't look like we're arguing, but I thought that the topic is too important to leave unclear. And also, maybe we'll add a little spice to the Board.

1. I'm still NOT clear of what you mean when you say "lean ROP or LOP to >60 ROP if necessary... depending on power". You know that I'm an engineer, so I know what ROP, LOP, > and < mean. I had hoped you would expand a little, since to me leaning to "LOP to >60 ROP" suggests operation anywhere between LOP to over 60 degrees ROP, and much of that range is specifically prohibited by the POH.

2. I don't doubt that the Cessna values for max cruise performance published in the POH may be based on peak EGT operation (probably to make the airplane look good on paper), but that same POH specifically prohibits cruise operation at peak EGT or any leaner than 50 degrees ROP.

3. Finally, I wanted to clear these things because your initial answer seemed to be suggestions for Richard on how to operate his bird, not a listing on how you operate your plane (notice the use of the word "you" instead of "I" in points 5, 7 and 9). And you end by saying "if you adhere to the above rules you will not have any problems".

Bottom line is that I think all of your guidelines are very important, and should be followed closely by all Skymaster operators, except for one: at cruise, don't operate LOP, or between peak EGT and 50 degrees ROP -- instead, operate where the POH says, namely between 50 degrees ROP and 75 degrees ROP.

Where do you stand on this point? You are probably the most savvy operator of Skymasters on this Board. I'm sure that other operators -- including average users -- would like to know.

Ernie Martin