Thread: T337c
View Single Post
Unread 11-04-08, 07:51 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
T337c

I wrote an email to the IA/a&p who recently completed my annual (early October). Below is the thread. Would love others to share their thoughts with me (either on the board or at rmorris@agsi.us).

Thanks.

---------MY ORIGINAL EMAIL TO IA-------------
Sorry for yet another email, but it?s the easiest way for me to communicate given my schedule.

Please drop me a detailed response at your earliest convenience.

I have had my front engine quit on 4 different occasions now. All since the annual/JPI install. On all four occasions, I hit the high boost fuel pump and get the engine back (have to leave the pump on for about (10-30 seconds). The first time was about 8 hours after the annual on take-off in Punta Cana ? very stressful to lose an engine on take-off with not enough runway left to sit it back down). Second time was that same flight about 15 minutes later shortly after leveling off in cruise. Third time was on a flight last week to Florida. Fourth time was today.

After the first two times (same flight), I thought it must just be something in the gas we took on in Punta Cana. But obviously that gas is long since gone. Again, in all four instances I simply hit the boost pump and got the engine back.

Someone on the DR trip (after hearing about the loss of engine on take-off) mentioned fuel filters ? saying they were cheap and easy to replace. Also of interest was the recent install of the JPI fuel flow meters.

So my basic questions are:

1) Does my Skymaster take fuel filters? If so, how much for the filters and replacement?

2) Any chance the JPI fuel flow meter itself, or something done on the install, could be causing this symptom?

3) Any other ideas on possible causes?
--------IA RESPONSE----------------
Subject: Re: N2475S T337C

1)Fuel Screens that were cleaned @ Annual

2)Most likely not as transducers are mounted in line

3)Water, Fuel pump, fuel selector valve, trash in tank,fuel vents are all possible.

----------MY RESPONSE TO HIS RESPONSE--------------
1) Obviously you would have noted any issues when you cleaned them, but any vlue in replacing them? What is the cost in time/labor to replace them?

2) Them being in-line is exactly what makes me think they might be involved. In other words, maybe turning on the boost pumps causes enough pressure to ?free-up? whatever is binding. Again, if I?m off-base just tell me ? trying to explore options.

3) I would think water would show up in sumping, or at least be done after 1 or two incidents. Please let me know your thoughts on ability to t-shoot a transient problem like this (ie what kind f things would you do on the fuel pump, selector valve, vents, etc) and how much in time do you think it might take?not looking for an exact quote to hold you to bu rather trying to understand the possible troubleshooting process and anticipated costs/timing.

----------------SO FAR NO ADDL INFO FROM HIM---------------
________
MEXICO CITY HOTEL

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 11:57 AM.