Thread: Avemco Quote
View Single Post
Unread 09-24-19, 11:14 AM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
Insurance is always highly personal, since people's tolerance to various kinds of risk (and the size of the target on their backs) is an individual thing.

Airika Ackermann at Sutton James obtained the following for me this year, from underwriter Allianz Global Aviation. I'm a 1,000 hour commercial/multi/IFR airplane pilot with a CE500 type rating, and also a private/VFR helicopter pilot. I include this info so that those with more or less experience can have it as reference. When I first bought my P337, I had zero time in type. At the time of this year's renewal, I had 72 hours in type. The underwriter required 3 hours of training with a pilot who had 500+ hours in type.

Liability only (no hull): $100k per-passenger limit, $1m per occurrence: $1,065/yr.

Raising the per-passenger to $250k would have added about $600/yr.

Raising the per occurrence above $1m was "not available", though I likely would have bought it if it was.

Adding hull would have added about $2700/yr, which simply didn't seem worth it to me. I can withstand the financial loss of the hull, therefore didn't need to buy the insurance.

Bottom line: For me, $89/mo.

Dan

PS: Now if I could only figure out how to buy 100LL at $2.50/usg instead of double that (or more). Thankfully, my airplane is a dream to maintain, since the previous owner and I have been extremely proactive on maintenance. What I love about the P337 is that if you buy the right one, it's a comfortable, capable, fast, reliable, safe machine, that doesn't cost that much to buy or operate. Why the rest of the world seems to have overlooked this model is beyond my ability to comprehend. At 100h/yr and $5/usg (if I'm lucky), I spend about $12k - $15k on 100LL. This dominates my cost of flying. Compared to fuel, all the other expenses (parking, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, training, "cost of money", registration/taxes) are far less significant.