View Single Post
Unread 11-17-05, 12:38 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Mark

here is may 2 cents worth.

1) turbo / more hp
If you need turbo's then I would look for a factory installed system as the cost would be prohibitive if you had to buy all the parts seperately. I do not know of any STC'd turbo.

2) wait for STC'd diesels if they ever appear. They come with turbo's.

3) the superskyrocket is great but the fuel burn is hard to justify.

4) Gear door mod
I rather doubt if it buy's you much in the long run. If you are running around in ice and snow I would be less likely to install the mod. If you adhere to gear up above 500 ft then it only saves weight.

The aircraft should fit "the mission". That includes the addition of fuel tanks and how much IFR you are going to fly. If you plan on a lot of IFR then I would make sure you have "boots" and a SECOND TRANSPONDER and ENCODER. After being stuck a number of times I added the second transponder and last year I had both fail on a flight over an ADIZ.. maybe I should consider 3?

You might want to look at a new panel overlay such as aeroenhancements. They do a nice job and has great lighting.

In summary you should be "mission concious" and tweak the aircraft for it's intended purpose.

If you are running around the east I would still recomend a strikefinder (or stormscope) even with nexrad. It will detect fast buildups whereas nexrad is not as sensitive. I also find that nexrad can very immensely depending on region and time of year. Lot's of times I fly through RED and it is CAVU. Also you can be flying in orange on top of heavy percip. It needs interpretation BIG TIME.

The stormscope tells you where you shouldn't be and then you can tell ATC where you do not want to be....... I would not fly IFR without one and would take it over OB radar.

In most cases the limitation is the pilot and not the aircraft.

Enjoy and be careful

Bob