Thread: Flap Cable ACS
View Single Post
Unread 02-26-03, 10:23 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I have been sick for a couple of days, and not monitoring the board. I just merged the three flap cable threads into one, to keep the information together.

I want to thank Kevin Swash for posting his pictures. Would it be alright if I posted those pictures on our tech data page Kevin?

I have some thoughts for you all on this subject.

I talked to several AI and A&P folks on this subject. The opinon was unanimous, and I promise I did not lead them on. Here is my best attempt to distill what I heard.

Bending these cables 90 degrees on the flap bellcrank (and other bellcranks) is done in many places, on 337s and other aircraft. 43-13 would seem to indicate that bending a 1/8" cable 90 degrees is not allowed, but the aircraft have been certified this way. All of the folks I talked to were sure that a very high percentage of cables that have been in service longer than 10 hours or so, and then are removed and bent in the opposite direction, will break as described in Kevin Swash's post and the FAA maintenance alert. Also, they believe that 100% of cables bent 90 degrees like this will not be serviceable for reinstallation once they are removed because they will be flattened excessively, and unserviceable per 43-13.

So, from what I learned talking to these folks, the following is my opinon, and my opinion only, offered for whatever it is worth to all of you. I am not a licensed aircraft mechanic. Here goes:

1.) If you remove the cable for inspection, you will probably end up replacing it. It will be unserviceable due to broken strands and/or flattening, even if it has been on the aircraft a small number of hours.

2.) If you do not remove it, you should inspect it carefully, using a tissue to detect broken strands. If you find even one broken strand in this area, you should R&R the cable.

3.) If an AD is issued relating to the problem, it should not be for removal and inspection of the cable, but rather to add a time change requirement for this cable. General opinion seems to be 5000 hours in service is a good maximum life. I have no expertise in that area, don't know what the number should be.

Comments?

Kevin (Mackenzie)