View Single Post
Unread 11-19-07, 09:04 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Metal oil line into turbo on T337C

I have a question regarding a metal oil lin running into my T337C. I just bought this plane about 5 weeks ago. Have had to make a "urgen" landing on a single engine twice already.

In both cases the oil pressure on the rear disappeared, and then I shut down the rear engine and made my way to the nearest reasonable airport. Pulling up to the line the rear portion of the plane was draped in oil.

In both cases it was the little metal oil line running into the turbo had broken in two pieces right near where it goes into the metal plate bolted to the turbo.

The first time I landed at a field where they specialize in Aerostar's with turbos. They identified the line quickly and then pulled it off. They said that they normally replace that type of line on an Aerostar with a threaded fitting tapped into the metal plate and then a flex line threaded onto it (eliminate the rigid metal piece entirely). They debated this move, but it qas going to require a bunch of research to see if it could be done on a Skymaster. Their other idea was to take the tube to a welding shop and have the line repaired...that is the option that was pursued. They put it back on and said it would last as long as if it was new.

Approx 7hrs (hobbs time) later, I had that same line break in flight.

My homefield a&p (who is just now learning the Skymaster) is going to research it today.

I told him that I either want the line replaced, or that cool "Aerostar" modification made to eliminate the rigid metal line.

Anyh one know a place to buy that line (and a part number) or anythign about a mod to keep that line from ruining my future flights?

-robert
rmorris@agsi.us
________
Mazda F Platform Picture

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 11:54 AM.