View Single Post
Unread 11-24-07, 09:04 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
From the a&p/IA talking with other Skymaster owners, it looks like the weld job that "repaired" the line the first time - was not heat treated.

I tried to order a replacement fitting from someone on Monday via the mechanic, but they failed to ship it out overnight as requested. We then went to plan B.

I called ATC (Approved Turbo Components) in Florida [based on a recommendation I received]. Mike looked it up and said there was a direct replacment fitting that would solve the issue. I ordered it and it is now sitting on the airplane, but not yet tightened down. Also, if you go this route, you will need a different and expensive check valve for it based on threading.
Seems that with the new fitting (which is MUCH larger and thicker than the original), there are two issues:
1) The angle and length of the new fitting, along with the new check valve, cause it to go right into the side of the engine. This can be worked around by using a righght angle fitting into the end of the check valve and now you go go under to the flex line as before
2) The size and angle of the new larger pipe make it virtually impossible to get to the backside bolt to tighten it down. The mechanic worked on it for several hours Wednesday before finally throwing in the towel. I am awaiting his thoughts on how to resolve (ie make a tool, buy some funky angled tool, sell the plane, etc. If anyone has thoughts on it, please let me know. Can you easily remove the front chamber on the turbo and separate the two halves, thus making it easy to get an angle on that back bolt of the oil line fitting?
________
RENT GUARANTEE ADVICE

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 11:54 AM.