Thread: 100 hour
View Single Post
Unread 05-20-02, 12:27 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I think we are in agreement. The difference is just in the words used. In the aviation circles I have traveled, the words "100 hour inspection" are usually associated with the inspection described in the inspection section of the service manual (page 2-22 in my version). It says (for aircraft flown less than 200 hours per year), if the aircraft is flown for hire, it must receive a COMPLETE AIRCRAFT INSPECTION (caps from the manual) each 100 hours and each 12 calendar months of operation. A COMPLETE AIRCRAFT INSPECTION consists of all 50, 100, 200 and Special Inspection items shown in the inspection charts...

So when many mechanics talk about a "100 hour", they are talking about the eqivalent of an annual. Just as GMAs says, there are also a set of items to be inspected at 100 hour intervals, but that is not the same as a "100 hour inspection" in common parlance.

So, my point was that for not flown for hire, a COMPLETE AIRCRAFT INSPECTION, usually called a "100 hour" is not appropriate, and in this in accordance with Cessna's manual.

GMAs point that the items that Cessna recommends be checked/performed every 100 hours should in fact be done every 100 hours is unassailable. I pulled out the service manual and looked at the 100 hour items, I am not at all sure that all of them have been done on my airplane, because the items are vague enough that I am unsure what each means. For example, "Waste gate actuator and controller" is listed as a 100 hour item. What does that mean?

I'm sure GMAs or some of the other A&P/AI mechanics that frequent this board could explain. I would love to learn more about these 100 hour items...and some of the 50 hour items...it would be interesting to know what the 50 hour item "anti-ice brushes, slip ring and boots" means completely for example. Inspecting the boots seems easy enough to me, but how to inspect the brushes and slip ring? Wouldn't this require disassembly? How about the item "fuel injection system"? What is the inspection for that? Just visual? Or more? How about "radios, radio controls, avionics and flight instruments"? I don't believe they get any inspection unless they stop working correctly. I know I had the most thorough mechanic in the city (his reputation was well known), but I don't think he was doing some of these things every 50 hours....

I have been depending on the skill and expertise of my A&P to interpret these things, and to do the things that are necessary between annuals. And I also continue to do my best to learn as much as I can about my bird. And I thank all the folks that use this site for helping to continue my education...

Kevin