View Single Post
Unread 09-13-04, 09:57 AM
Ben Siebert

side241 is an unknown quantity at this point
My Guess

Hi all,

This is an additional comment after this am.'s message. The plane flew 5 hours today. On preflight, I noticed that a drip every 10 seconds from the exterior terminus of the line that comes out of the bottom of the electric fuel pump. My mechaninc on the field said it was the diaphram weeping, and we are replacing it. Anybody out there think this could be the problem? Also, during the four 1.2 hr legs we cross-fed the engines with no problems, but on the last 1/2 hr I went to the aux. tanks, and after 15 mins, sure enough, it happened again. It has happened on the mains also, but no question it is much more prone to have this problem occur on the aux. tanks. Anyhow, read below. Thanks,
Ben

thanks for the input. Actually, I am a VERY conservative flyer, and won't go if there is any problem and have it fixed ASAP. BUt this problem has occurred since I have had the plane, and it really is no big deal. Just turn the fuel pump to "low" and it has never happened.

Actually, in reading this and other forums on 337s, it confirms my instinctual diagnosis of what is going on. It very much acts like the rear engine fuel system is vapor locking. I read on the other site that a few years ago California planes were having this exact scenario occur at higher altitudes, the reason likely that CA fuel had a change to its refining parameters. Rear engine is higher, so less pressure to the engine driven pump, etc. The fuel line for the rear engine is routed where it can definitely get hot, and vaporizes before it gets to the pump. Will replace the fuel line with an insulated, fire-resistant line next week.

Any thought on this would be appreciated.

Belive me, I am going to take all of your suggestions and check all of those items also, its not only an annoying problem, but makes the passengers a bit nervous!
Thanks,
Ben

Last edited by side241 : 09-13-04 at 10:29 PM.